Golden Retrievers make wonderful companions, and owning one is the ultimate experience. However, keeping your Golden and his luxurious coat clean often requires a lot of work and effort on your part. To help you avoid owning a dirty and smelly dog, I’ve found the best shampoo for Golden Retrievers that will keep nasties at bay!
With the right product, it is easy to keep your dog’s coat clean and prevent him from spreading dirt and grime all over your home and furniture. The problem is finding a shampoo that is strong enough to ensure cleanliness without damaging your dog’s skin and coat.
Some Golden Retrievers have sensitive skin and are prone to allergies, which makes the hunt for the best shampoo rather difficult! Fortunately, there are many shampoos that can effectively clean your Golden Retriever without damaging his skin in the process!
In this article, I’ll share with you the top seven Golden Retriever shampoos that will actually make your dog clean and keep him smelling great till the next bath!
Table Of Contents
The Best Shampoo For Golden Retrievers Reviewed
Whether you need a shampoo to clean, deodorize, and condition your dog’s coat, or soothe his itchy skin, I’ve got you covered! Let’s take a look at the in-depth reviews of the seven best shampoos for Golden Retrievers.
1. HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo With Essential Fatty Acids For Dogs – Best Overall
The HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Dogs is the perfect solution if you are looking for the best shampoo for Golden Retriever with allergies. Formulated to promote hydration, this shampoo might be essential for your Golden’s grooming routine.
- Promotes skin hydration
- Contains essential fatty acids
This gentle and hypoallergenic shampoo contains emollients that promote skin hydration and proteins that support an optimal pH balance and it conditions the coat. These traits are especially beneficial if your Goldie is suffering from food or skin allergies.
Since it doesn’t contain soap or other harsh chemicals, you can use this shampoo without compromising your dog’s topical flea and tick treatments. Best of all, thanks to its gentle and nourishing formulation, you may use it to bathe your Goldie as often as you need.
- Mild and pleasant smell
- Keeps the coat clean
- Soothes and moisturizes dry skin
- Easy to rinse off
- Maybe too gentle for extremely dirty Goldens
Overall, the Hylyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Dogs is the best Golden Retriever shampoo for allergies and frequent bathing thanks to its gentle formula.
2. TropiClean Medicated Oatmeal & Tea Tree Dog Shampoo – Runner Up
The TropiClean Medicated Oatmeal & Tea Tree Dog Shampoo comes in a 2.5-gallon bottle and is a great option if your Goldie gets dirty often and needs frequent baths. It is formulated with natural ingredients and won’t interfere with topical flea and tick treatment.
- Cleans and deodorizes
- Made from natural ingredients
Formulated for regular baths, this shampoo keeps the coat clean and fresh smelling thanks to natural ingredients such as papaya and aloe vera. On the other hand, tree tea oil eliminates flaking, dandruff, and itchiness associated with seborrhea.
- Leaves the coat soft and smelling great
- Hydrates and nourishes the skin
- Removes dirt and grime
- Doesn’t affect topical flea and tick treatments
- A few customers stated that the scent isn’t as strong as they hope it would be
Overall, the TropiClean Medicated Oatmeal & Tea Tree Dog Shampoo is a sound choice if your Golden Retriever has sensitive skin and needs regular baths.
3. Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo – Best Budget
The Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo is the best shampoo for Golden Retrievers that won’t break the bank but will keep your dog clean and smelling good.
- Reduces itching and scratching
- Neutralizes odors
- 100% biodegradable
Formulated with oatmeal and aloe vera, this shampoo is safe even if you have to bathe your Golden Retriever often. It also helps to heal and soothe dry, itchy, and scratched skin and, at the same time, it removes grime and dirt.
- Completely natural and safe
- Can be used on adult dogs and puppies over six weeks old
- Hydrates dry and itchy skin
- Removes dirt and doggy odor
- It’s just a shampoo without a conditioner
Overall, The Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo is the best dog shampoo for Golden Retrievers when on a tight budget, and it will get your pooch clean and smelling nice.
4. PetAg Fresh ‘N Clean Scented Dog Shampoo – Best For Odor Control
The PetAg Fresh ‘N Clean Scented Dog Shampoo is an excellent choice if your Goldie smells like a wet dog most of the time. The floral scent stays on for up to two weeks after a bath, making your stinky pooch safe for cuddles once more!
- Long-lasting odor-control
- Cleans and conditions
- Plant-derived cleansers
Formulated with soap-free, naturally derived cleansers, this shampoo removes dirt and grime but it also conditions the coat and soothes the skin.
The long-lasting odor control will get rid of that wet doggy smell, and the nice floral scent will allow you to take a breath of fresh air while staying in the same room as your dog!
- Can be used regularly due to natural formulation
- Removes nasty doggy odors
- Gentle for the skin and coat
- Cleans and conditions at the same time
- A few owners didn’t like the floral scent
Overall, The PetAg Fresh ‘N Clean Scented Dog Shampoo is a great choice for smelly and dirty Golden Retrievers. The natural and gentle formulation makes it suitable for regular baths.
5. Vetoquinol Vet Solutions For Itchy, Dry Skin Dog Shampoo – Best For Sensitive Skin
The Vetoquinol Vet Solutions for Itchy, Dry Skin Dog Shampoo is formulated to create a rich lather that cleans the coat and soothe irritated skin. Caring for a Golden Retriever entails caring about his skin too, and this gentle shampoo can help with that.
- Keeps skin moisturized
- Soap-free formulation
- Soothes itchiness immediately
Formulated with emollients, this shampoo moisturizes and nourishes the skin, and provides almost instant relief from itching. While made to be mild, this shampoo creates a rich lather that removes dirt and grime without removing natural skin oils.
The gentle coconut fragrance will keep your Goldie smelling great without overwhelming his superior senses.
- Soothes dry and itchy skin
- Cleans and deodorizes the coat
- Safe to use with topical flea treatment
- Gentle and can be used regularly
- Although mild, a few owners didn’t like the coconut fragrance
If your Goldie is itching and scratching, you should give the Vetoquinol Vet Solutions for Itchy, Dry Skin Dog Shampoo a try. Its gentle formulation works wonders for sensitive skin, and it also keeps the coat clean and smelling great.
6. Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo – Best Shampoo & Conditioner
If you are looking for the best shampoo and conditioner for a Golden Retriever, look no further than the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo. Formulated with cosmetic-grade ingredients, this product will clean and detangle your Goldie’s coat.
- Safe for frequent use
- Made with botanical extracts
- Soap and alcohol-free
Made with ingredients such as aloe, chamomile, sage, and tea tree, this shampoo nourishes the skin, removes all the dirt and grime from the coat, and keeps it tangle-free. It makes a rich lather that is easy to rinse, thus making the bathing experience more enjoyable for you and your Golden.
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Easy to rinse
- Removes doggy odors
- Can be used on puppies
- The nice smell doesn’t last very long
Overall, the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo cleans and works as a conditioner, and it will ensure that your pooch leaves the tub tangle-free.
7. Veterinary Formula Solutions Snow White Whitening Shampoo For Dogs – Best Shampoo For Brightening & Stains
The Veterinary Formula Stains Snow White Whitening Shampoo for Dogs is designed to lighten, brighten, and remove nasty stains from your dog’s gorgeous golden coat.
- Deodorizes the coat
- Removes dirt and stains
- Gentle formulation
This shampoo cleans and brightens dirty coats without the use of harsh chemicals, bleach, or peroxide. Coconut oil-based cleansers are gentle and hydrate the skin while removing the grime and ensure that the coat is soft and clean.
- Long-lasting citrus fragrance
- Safe to use with topical flea and tick medication
- Gentle and doesn’t irritate the skin
- Brightens the coat and removes dirty stains
- Whitening results are only visible after a few baths
Overall, the Veterinary Formula Stains Snow White Whitening Shampoo for Dogs is a great choice if you want to brighten your Goldie’s coat and remove persistent stains.
What To Look For In The Best Shampoo For Golden Retrievers?
Golden Retrievers aren’t generally a high maintenance breed, however, their coats have to be brushed and washed regularly.
A good shampoo is a must since you will need to bathe your Goldie once every four to six weeks, or more often if he tends to get dirty.
Unless your Golden doesn’t have a specific skin condition for which he needs a specific vet-approved product, look for shampoos that have the following traits:
- Natural Ingredients: You should always avoid shampoos that contain harsh chemicals such as parabens and phosphates. These ingredients can irritate the skin and cause more harm than good in the long run.
- Hypoallergenic: Hypoallergenic shampoos don’t contain ingredients that are likely to trigger an allergic reaction, and they are usually naturally formulated.
- Odor Control: Golden Retrievers like to play and can get stinky in no time! If you need help keeping your dog smelling fresh, look for a shampoo with deodorizing properties.
- Hydration: Weather your dog does or doesn’t have skin problems, you should look for a shampoo that will keep his skin hydrated. Oatmeal, aloe vera, and almond oil are natural moisturizers that will ensure that your Goldie’s skin is hydrated and healthy.
Are There Different Types Of Shampoos For Golden Retrievers?
At some point, you have probably wondered what is the best shampoo for Golden Retrievers and what kind should you choose for your dog.
There isn’t a single shampoo that works for all Goldens; instead, your dog’s needs at this moment will determine the type of shampoo he needs.
Here are different types you can choose from:
- Puppy Shampoo: Made from natural ingredients and formulated for a puppy’s extra-sensitive skin.
- Flea And Tick: This type of shampoo can be natural or chemical, and it is designed to kill fleas and ticks. For the best results, you will have to work it into the coat and leave it for 10 minutes to sit before rinsing.
- Medicated: These shampoos are designed to tackle skin conditions and can offer antifungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic benefits.
- All-Purpose Shampoo: A good quality all-purpose shampoo is essential if you want to keep your dog clean. Look for one that has natural ingredients and is hypoallergenic.
- 2 In 1: Since Goldies are prone to mats and tangles, you should consider getting a shampoo and conditioner to keep your dog’s skin moisturized and his coat soft.
4 Tips For Bathing A Golden Retriever
Golden Retrievers are playful and adventurous dogs and are likely to be dirty rather than clean most of the time. How often you will bathe your Goldie depends on his skin and level of cleanliness, but generally, you should do it at least once a month.
Here are some tips on how to do it right:
- Brush your dog before bathing him to remove loose hair, dirt, and debris from his coat.
- Make sure to soak the coat all the way to the skin so that you can lather him properly and remove all dirt and grime.
- Place a towel or a mat inside the tub. This way your pooch won’t accidentally slip and injure himself during the bath.
- Use treats to entice your Goldie to get into and stay in the tub during bathing.
Regular baths are what you signed up for when you welcomed a Golden Retriever into your home! The only way you can do it right is if you find the best shampoo for Golden Retrievers that will leave your dog’s coat clean and shiny while moisturizing his skin.
Although all shampoos listed above can do wonders for your Goldie, the Hylyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Dogs is the overall best!
However, if you are budget conscious, the Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo is a better choice for you. But if you are looking for something in between, the TropiClean Medicated Oatmeal & Tea Tree Dog Shampoo is an excellent option and will last you a long time.
In the end, whatever you choose, you can rest assured that you aren’t going to be overwhelmed by doggy odor and faint the next time your pooch comes in for cuddles!
Last Updated on