Updated: June 23rd, 2021
When your canine companion wants to communicate their feelings – joy, excitement, anxiety, anger, and everything in between – they will bark. It’s completely normal for your pooch to bark every so often, but when the barking becomes excessive, it might be time for an anti-barking device.
Barking is how dogs communicate with each other and us, their owners. That being said, your dog will always bark. But the important thing here is to make a distinction between an excessive barker and a normal barker.
If you have an excessive barker on your hands, don’t despair because you aren’t alone! Excessive barking is one of the most common behavioral issues that most owners face. Luckily, there are a variety of anti-barking devices you can choose from that can help you stop your pup’s nuisance barking once and for all.
In this article, I’ll take a close look at some of the best bark collars and anti-barking devices on the market, but first, let’s talk (you guessed it!) barking.
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Chewy. All of these anti-barking devices or collars have special sales at the moment.
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
Table Of Contents
- 1 How To Tell If Your Dog Needs An Anti-Barking Device
- 2 An Overview Of The Best Stop Barking Device
- 3 What To Look Out For When Selecting The Best Anti-Barking Device
- 4 How Does An Anti-Barking Device Work?
- 5 Types Of Dog Barking Control Devices
- 6 What’s The Best Anti-Barking Device?
- 7 FAQs About Stop Barking Device
- 8 Final Thoughts
How To Tell If Your Dog Needs An Anti-Barking Device
Are you feeling irritated with your dog’s barking? Are they barking every time you turn around, for what seems like no reason whatsoever?
Sometimes dogs get into the habit of barking just for barking’s sake. Often, this happens out of boredom; sometimes they can hear or smell things that are outside our senses. Whatever the reason for your dog’s barking, if it’s bothering you and making the neighbors wish you’d move away and take your barking dog with you, it’s probably time to give an anti-dog barking device a try.
Dogs use vocalization to communicate with their owners, so it’s important that you understand canine behavior and communication. Barking that’s meant to communicate with you, tell you something’s happening, or warn you of an intruder is completely normal.
Dogs often bark while playing or when they see things that make them excited. But between those bursts, your dog should have long stretches of quiet time.
If your four-legged friend has been barking in a way that doesn’t seem normal, you might want to check with your vet to see what’s going on. Common reasons for excessive barking can be territorial exhibits or “socializing” with other dogs in the neighborhood, or they can signify more serious issues such as illness, injury, separation anxiety, frustration, etc.
Whatever the reason, if your dog is barking excessively and the cause isn’t medical, it’s likely your pet is a prime candidate for a stop dog barking device and could greatly benefit from using one.
I’ll be telling you more about the best anti-barking devices shortly, but for now, here’s a quick overview:
An Overview Of The Best Stop Barking Device
I have rounded up 10 different bark control devices that you will find effective, practical, and best suited for your dog’s needs.
The SportDOG NoBark is a well-rated tool famous for effectively deterring dogs from excessive barking. It’s designed to detect your pooch’s unique barking style, but filter all other noise, and deliver corrections only when your dog is barking too much. This means your pooch won’t get a correction when another dog in the vicinity is barking incessantly.
- A silent partner technology that identifies your dog’s unique barking style
- The collar is rechargeable
- Three programmable correction modes
- 10 levels of static stimulation
- It’s waterproof
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Built-in safety feature
The lithium-ion batteries take two hours to charge but will last up to 200 hours per charge. A special feature worth mentioning is the three programmable correction modes and multiple levels of stimulation. They give you a chance to adjust this anti-dog barking device to just about any correction level that works for your dog.
- Its system is precise in correcting your pooch’s barking
- It’s water-resistant, even in the case where your pooch is in water up to 10 feet
- Very easy to use as it requires no remote; just charge it and put it on your dog
- According to customer reviews, the company has responsive customer service
- The chargers are specific to this collar
- The material can trigger allergies in dogs with skin sensitivities. To minimize such reactions, the manufacturer suggests you take it off after every 8-12 hours.
SportDOG NoBark SBC-R Rechargeable Bark Control Dog Collar takes pride in being almost 100% effective at stopping excessive barking, thanks to its versatile correction modes. Also, it lasts relatively long and is a perfect choice for anyone looking for a simple functional collar.
If your dog tends to bark when you’re home, this unique anti-bark device gives you a simple way to get your dog’s attention, stop their barking immediately, and help you begin the process of redirecting to a positive activity. Be sure to use positive reinforcement training methods and reward your dog after they stop barking. It’s the best way to let them know they should be quiet.
- Portable – easy to keep with you for immediate use as needed
- Pain-free; compatible with positive training methods
- Citronella spray won’t harm you or your dog
Besides stopping excessive barking, the PetSafe Spray Shield is useful for correcting other unwanted behaviors, including jumping up, chasing other pets, begging, and more. A training guide is included, with helpful tips for getting the best results from this stop barking device.
- Easy to use
- Provides immediate correction
- Can be used to correct a variety of unwanted behaviors
- Portable, works indoors and outside
- Doesn’t work independently
- Won’t stop dog from barking when you’re not home
This isn’t a traditional anti-bark device but when your dog’s annoying barking is directed at you, your guests, or things happening outside, it puts you in complete control of stopping your dog’s barking, redirecting them, and rewarding them once they’re quiet.
If your dog exhibits other unwanted behaviors, you can use this citronella spray to correct those, too. I’d like to remind you to be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and remember to positively reinforce the desired behavior!
This is a versatile dog collar training system that allows you access to several corrective modes to choose from. They include light, vibrations, sound, beeps, and static shock.
If you think that’s impressive, your jaw will drop at the fact that this device gives you the option to work with 100 intensity levels across all its stimulation modes. This way you can customize your training to what works best for your pooch.
- Made with an adjustable nylon collar strap
- Compact and water-resistant receiver
- Has a range of up to 330 yards
- Rechargeable and rainproof transmitter and receiver
- Three types of stimulation
- Four different stimulation modes
- 100 levels of intensity
One special thing about this collar that you’ll love is it’s accommodative to all kinds of weather, thus you do not need to have any worries if your dog gets caught out in the rain.
Since the transmitter has a range of up to 900 feet, you can easily grab the attention of your dog to deter them from digging, bolting, or any excessive barking behavior. You can easily do this through a programmable remote.
- The adjustable nylon strap enables the collar to fit dogs of all sizes, from small to large
- It can correct multiple behavioral issues like aggression and excessive barking, or you can use it for leash and crate training
- The extensive range control will allow you to train your dog in your backyard or park
- Thanks to the four different stimulation modes, together with 100 levels of intensity, you can customize your dog’s training sessions as you wish
- It has a light mode that enables you to watch your dog in low light situations
- It might take you a while to master how to switch between different modes quickly
Despite it looking complex, once you learn how to use it properly, the Petrainer 998DRB will eventually end up being one of the best buys in your efforts to manage your dog’s barking behavior once and for all.
The Company of Animals Pet Corrector Dog Training Aid isn’t only an anti-barking device – you can use it to correct a variety of different undesired behaviors. From excessive barking to jumping on people or furniture, this device can stop your dog’s bad behavior in a completely harmless way!
- Emits a harmless hissing sound
- Comes with a training guide
- Effective at interrupting excessive barking
This stop dog barking device is designed to distract your dog and interrupt bad behavior using a hissing noise. The thing I like the most about this training aid is that it’s completely harmless and can’t hurt a dog in any way, but at the same time, it’s a highly effective tool for curbing incessant barking.
- Completely safe to use on dogs of any age, including puppies and seniors
- With 200 uses per can, you can use this training aid to correct all sorts of undesired behaviors
- Produces a harmless hissing sound that distracts golden retrievers from barking
- Can be used in combination with reward-based training
- You have to be physically there to catch your dog in the act to stop excessive barking
Overall, the Company of Animals Pet Corrector Dog Training Aid is an inexpensive and yet effective way to stop excessive barking and other bad behaviors.
The Garmin BarkLimiter Deluxe Dog Training Collar is designed to stop excessive barking whether your golden is at home, in the park, or playing in the backyard. This best stop barking device has an innovative technology that helps it filter out other noises and only deliver corrections when your pooch is barking.
- Built-in bark counter
- Has a rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Corrections can be set on stimulation or vibration
This bark control collar has seven levels of corrections and you can choose continuous or momentary stimulation or a tone and vibration setting. Using innovative technology, this collar can distinguish your dog’s bark and other noises, thus preventing unnecessary corrections.
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes thanks to its compact and lightweight design
- When used correctly, it’s an effective training tool
- Once fully charged, the battery can last up to three months
- Easy to set up and use
- Can cause skin irritation and allergies if not removed at least eight hours every day
- The intensity of corrections automatically increases until a dog stops barking, which can be problematic for fearful dogs
When used according to instructions, the Garmin BarkLimiter Deluxe Dog Training Collar is an effective and safe bark control device for golden retrievers.
PetSafe Static Basic Bark Control Collar sets itself apart from other bark control devices by using the famous RFA-67 PetSafe battery to power its system. That aside, it’s one of the few reliable stop bark devices that comprises a vibration sensor able to detect your dog’s barking and consequently dispense a static correction.
- Six levels of progressive static correction
- An automatic safety shut-off
- A vibration sensor to detect when your dog’s vocal cords are moving
- Waterproof receiver collar
With this collar, there is no programming required. However, it’s important to note that the device is calibrated incrementally. So, if your pooch continues to bark through the first static correction, the following corrections will get stronger, until your dog submits to the correction and stops barking.
As for the correction, once it is triggered by your pooch’s vocal cords, it will last for 50 seconds. Also worth mentioning is that all six correctional levels are completely safe and can’t harm your golden retriever when the collar is properly adjusted.
- You can customize it to your pet’s specific size and personality, thanks to the six progressive static correction levels
- Fewer chances of false corrections due to the addition of a vibration sensor
- Being waterproof makes it ideal for outdoor use
- It’s relatively simple to operate
- It’s a one-size-fits-all device, thus it may not be a good fit for ultra-small dogs
- It only uses PetSafe batteries
If not wowed by its versatility in dealing with behavioral issues, the other thing that will effortlessly draw you to this collar is its preciseness to dealing with barking anomalies.
The design of this gadget is pretty cool and no one would know you are carrying an ultrasonic anti-bark deterrent for your pooch. Thanks to the nice and slim egg shape and wrist strap, this device can easily be mistaken for car keys or a key holder.
What’s more, this gadget is fairly versatile as it can be used indoors, outdoors, and even when walking your dog.
- Borrows a handheld design
- The gadget is battery-powered, running on four AAA batteries
- Comes with an adjustable wrist strap
- It has a 15-foot range
- Uses ultrasonic sounds
Should your golden engage in excessive barking, pointing the gadget at them and holding down the button will cause the gadget to emit an ultrasonic sound only audible to your pooch, which is enough to quieten them down effectively.
When holding the button down, the gadget’s light turns green to indicate that it is working correctly. After 10 seconds, the ultrasonic sound will automatically switch off. The sound has been calibrated to ensure it remains within a safe level for your pooch.
But please note that when in use, this ultrasonic dog bark device must be at least 12 inches away from human ears, including your own, because of the potential negative health impact ultrasonic noise has on humans.
- Operating the device is very easy; all you have to do is push a button while the device is directed at your pooch to deter any excessive barking
- It has a lanyard that you can use to secure the egg for easy accessibility
- The handheld design makes it perfect for travel, walks, or even within the home
- Has an automatic LED light that shuts off the ultrasonic sound after 10 seconds
- It uses four replaceable AAA batteries that are easy to find
- The noise can make some pups anxious, resulting in more barking
If you really care about portability and functionality, the Sunbeam Little Sonic Egg Handheld Bark Control Device is a perfect combination of both. You’ll be getting great value for a fair price.
The PetSafe Collarless Ultrasonic Remote Trainer System differs from other ultrasonic devices and allows you to stop bad behavior and reward good behavior. This device is capable of emitting two different ultrasonic sounds. An unpleasant tone tells your dog to stop what they are doing, but a pleasant tone is there to encourage and reinforce good behavior.
- Has a range of up to 30 feet
- Comes with a battery indicator
- Uses alkaline batteries
This bark control device is designed to correct your dog’s bad behavior in a painless and completely safe way. With a simple push of a button, the device will emit a harmless ultrasonic tone that will tell your dog to stop what they are doing. This device can also produce a pleasant tone to reward good behavior.
- Suitable for dogs of any size and age
- Produces a harmless ultrasonic sound that stops unwanted behavior
- Remote works on 9-volt alkaline battery
- This device can also produce a pleasant tone that encourages good behavior
- Unlike bark control collars this device can’t work independently
Overall, the PetSafe Collarless Ultrasonic Remote Trainer System is a great device if you are looking for an effective way to stop your dog’s barking without using static shocks.
Whenever your dog is barking excessively, and then manages to get the neighbor’s dogs in on the barking act too, the aftermath is usually chaotic, at the very least.
But fear not! The PetSafe Outdoor Ultrasonic Bark Control is what you need to firmly remind your pooch and others the barking is over and that they need to tone it down a notch.
The beauty of this best anti-barking device is that you don’t need to press any buttons because this outdoor bark deterrent has a bark sensor that triggers the emission of ultrasonic sound to silence your pooch when they are barking excessively.
- Has a 50-foot range
- Three range settings to manipulate sensitivity
- Uses high-frequency ultrasonic sound
- Can project the sound in a cone shape (up to 150 degrees)
- It’s weatherproof
The fact that this device has a 50 feet range and can project the ultrasonic sound at a 150-degree angle means it can probably cover your compound and the neighbor’s. Also, the design is discreet and looks like a birdhouse.
What’s more, it has a tough exterior build to withstand the weather elements. All you would have to do is check the battery power level every so often just to be sure your device is active.
- It’s built to work for dogs of all sizes, provided they are within the hearing range
- The company has excellent customer service
- Comes with a built-in timer that lets you set the desired on and off time. This way you can improve battery life
- There are two versions, standard and deluxe, to suit your budgetary needs
- Can only be used outdoors
- Some dog owners report that it didn’t work on their pet
Overall, this gadget makes for a great excessive barking solution, especially if you want to house train your pooch without using an anti-bark shock collar.
Like most bark collars, the PetSafe Elite Little Dog Spray Bark Control Collar is designed to stop excessive barking. Whereas some dogs will quickly get the lessons and not require this device for the long term, some will get used to only controlling their barking when they have the collar on.
- Utilizes citronella spray to manage excessive barking
- Uses a patented system that prevents false corrections
- Each spray can holds 400-500 sprays
- Adjustable nylon neck strap
- It’s waterproof
- Rechargeable PetSafe RFA-188 battery
- Spray cartridge refill/recyclable spray cartridges
Thanks to the PetSafe patented perfect bark dual detection technology, no other sounds, including the barking of other dogs, will set off this collar. This means that even if you have several dogs, each of them can wear this anti-bark device and none of their barks will trigger the other’s collar.
What’s more, the collar can stay waterproof when submerged up to five feet for up to 30 minutes. However, it’s important to note that this collar should only be worn when you want your dog to stop barking.
- Uses sound and vibration sensors to prevent accidental corrections
- It’s very easy to use and requires no manual settings
- An adjustable neck strap enables it to fit dogs of all sizes
- It combines the sound of the spray, the smell, and mist to achieve immediate results
- It might take you a while to learn how to reset the spray counter
- It works better with PetSafe batteries
Other than being simple to use and able to achieve immediate results, the PetSafe Elite Little Dog Spray Bark Control Collar’s ability to fit just about any dog and thwart any false corrections make it competitive and worth a try for the pet owner who’s curious to try something beyond devices that use sound and shock corrections.
Next, it would be helpful if you knew exactly how to choose an anti-barking device for your dog, the qualities you should pay the most attention to while shopping, how these devices work, and why it could be your best solution yet.
What To Look Out For When Selecting The Best Anti-Barking Device
The design does not affect functionality. However, a bark control system that is best for indoors needs to be aesthetically appealing, keeping with your interior decor. They usually come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors, so you shouldn’t have trouble finding a good bark control device that will go hand in hand with your internal furnishings.
For outside versions, they need to look discreet, appealing, and in some cases, inconspicuous just in case you are silencing your neighbor’s dogs. A birdhouse design, for instance, works quite well and blends in perfectly with the outdoor environment.
But before you decide to use an anti-bark device on a neighbor’s dog, check the municipal codes, local laws, homeowner association agreements, and apartment leases just to be sure your action is within the legal boundaries.
Safety is paramount. If you are opting for a device that emits sound as a response to barking, then you want reassurance from the manufacturer that the sound emitted is just annoying enough to stop the barking but not harmful to your pooch.
This is important because you as the doggie parent are not able to hear the inaudible high-pitched ultrasonic sound.
For collars that respond to barking with a jolt, you want to make sure the highest setting is not harmful to your dog. And if you do decide to get an anti-bark collar that uses static shock, check to see if you can adjust the level of correction based on your needs.
Look out for features that will work for you. Such features range from:
- Indoor, outdoor, or multi-area use
- Can be hung on a wall or placed on a counter
- Extended handle
- Sound and sensory levels
- LED light that indicates battery level
- Range – This is a vital feature that will determine how effective your anti-barking device will be for your needs.
How Does An Anti-Barking Device Work?
You’ve probably noticed that there are plenty of good stop bark tools on the market nowadays. But before you go buy one, it would be great if you could identify the exact cause of your dog’s excessive barking.
While finding a specific reason might seem hard at first, you can consult your vet or a behavioral expert. In most cases, excessive barking is the result of separation anxiety, fear, excitement, frustration, or is linked with territorial or attention-seeking behavior.
If you and your vet come to the conclusion that your dog’s barking is indeed excessive and can be reduced through the help of an anti-barking device, then you have three types of anti-dog barking tools to choose from.
Types Of Dog Barking Control Devices
The general way that a stop bark device works is by helping your pooch understand that every time they bark, there may be an unpleasant consequence.
Depending on the type of device you choose, the consequences could be through sound emission that is unpleasant enough to stop your dog from barking.
It could also be a collar that sends a gentle electric shock to deter your golden from barking all the time. And last, but not least, is through sprays that use a mixture of water or citronella to spray your pooch every time they bark without a good reason.
This can come in the form of a dog collar or a remote device with the ability to emit an unpleasant sound every time your dog barks excessively.
Such a device is able to detect your dog barking and thus trigger the emission of a high-pitched ultrasonic sound that is only audible to doggy ears. This sound is quite unpleasant to your pooch, enough to get them to stop barking. The idea behind these bark control devices is to discourage dogs from barking excessively using unpleasant sounds.
Since dogs have a different threshold for noise irritation, the device is set in a manner that causes its sound to increase as your pooch keeps barking and to a level where it can stop your pooch from barking, but without causing any harm.
So, despite the variance in different tolerance levels for different pooches, an ultrasonic sound emitter will help teach your pooch to bark less.
This device works in a similar fashion as the sound emitter. The only difference is that instead of the device emitting a high-pitched ultrasonic sound when your dog barks, this device will deliver a gentle but firm electric shock to your dog.
While shock collars are subjects of much controversy, the electric current in newer models is at a safe level, enough to shock your pooch to submission without causing them any harm. However, you should still research the manufacturer and talk with your vet before buying a shock collar for your pooch.
Shock collars are recommended only when nothing else works, so as a last resort. This is mainly because if you fail to use it correctly, a shock collar can cause your pooch to become fearful or aggressive.
One of the best ways to go about this is to opt for a collar with dual sensors (sound and throat vibration sensors). This prevents it from being activated by other sounds. Also, it would be better if the device has multiple levels of corrections and a warning signal that alerts the dog of an impending shock.
Offering one of the best solutions in bark control, water sprays can be incredibly effective in disrupting your pooch from barking bouts. This type of dog barking control device utilizes ingredients such as citronella that have a powerful odor that dogs aren’t too crazy about.
So, when they bark with the device on, the collar will spay and shock your pooch right out of their bark, making them question whether persisting with the yapping is actually worth it.
There are other milder yet effective anti-bark sprays with gentler ingredients in case you feel that citronella is a bit too pungent for your buddy’s liking.
What’s The Best Anti-Barking Device?
Before you try barking deterrents, I would suggest you consider other solutions for excessive barking that don’t involve the use of an anti-barking device.
To begin with, establish that your pooch is indeed barking excessively. Remember, your dog’s primary language is barking. Normal barking could be due to the following situations:
- Excited to see you
- Is (or becomes) territorial
- There is an intruder in the house or compound
Although this list is not exhaustive, it does give you an idea of when you can expect your pooch to naturally bark.
That aside, it’s also important to understand the psychology of dogs before you decide to employ the help of an anti-barking device. For instance, dogs may bark excessively if they become bored. This is usually accompanied by other manic behavior such as chewing house rags and ripping and chewing cushions apart.
Thankfully, such destructive behavior can be remedied by providing engaging toys that can mentally stimulate your dog and keep them entertained.
Taking your dog out for long walks or exercise is another great way to prevent boredom and bond with your buddy. You’ll be helping them work off the excess energy they may have accumulated lately, which could, in turn, stop them from being restless and barking excessively.
In case the excessive barking is a result of your pooch being territorial, it means you can help reduce the barking by simply socializing your dog a bit better or enrolling them in puppy classes.
You should also take your golden to the park every so often to meet new dogs and strangers. This way, your pup won’t feel the need to mark and defend its territory. If possible, get family and friends to visit you more often so your pooch can get used to seeing new faces in your house without becoming territorial.
FAQs About Stop Barking Device
Do anti-barking devices really work?
When used appropriately, most anti-barking devices work and are an effective way to stop excessive barking. However, not all dogs are the same, and for some dogs, bark control devices simply don’t work. Keep in mind that bark control devices should be used as training tools that can get your dog’s barking under control in time.
What device stops dogs from barking?
There are many different types of bark control devices that are designed to stop insistent barking. When it comes to anti-bark collars, you can choose from spray collars that use water or citronella, or shock collars. There are also ultrasonic bark control devices such as collars and indoor, outdoor, and handheld ultrasonic devices.
Do bark collars hurt the dog?
Most manufacturers claim that their static shock bark collars are completely safe and aren’t strong enough to injure or harm a dog. However, you should consider using a shock collar only after you’ve tried everything else to stop your dog’s excessive barking. And even in that case, consult your vet and a canine behavioral expert before deciding to get a shock collar for your pup.
All dogs bark; it’s what dogs are meant to do. However, if your dog’s barking is so bad that you are afraid that neighbors will rally to kick you out of the building, it’s time to take control and stop your dog’s excessive barking.
Don’t forget that dogs use vocalization to communicate, so there is a big chance your pooch is trying to tell you something. To get to the bottom of your dog’s barking problem, you should try to figure out the reason for this behavior and use an anti-barking device as a training tool to stop barking for good.
While any one of the products listed above can be a great fit for your golden, the SportDOG NoBark SBC-R Rechargeable Bark Control Dog Collar stopped my dog’s excessive barking. Its simple design, versatile modes, ability to last longer, and water-resistant design set this device apart from the rest.
Remember, when using a stop barking device, please ensure to follow the guidelines to ensure the safety of your pet, yourself, and those around you. Also, bear in mind that corrective gadgets are not supposed to be used all the time but only in moderation and only for dog training purposes.