The highly energetic and active Golden Retrievers need a lot of exercise and regular walks to burn energy and stay in shape. However, keeping your powerful Golden under control can prove rather difficult without the best harness for a Golden Retriever.
Without a high-quality harness, your Golden Retriever will take matters into his paws and end up taking you for a walk around the block!
The main issue, besides being pulled around by your dog, is that not all harnesses are the right match for Golden Retrievers! In fact, you may end up spending a lot of money before you find the perfect fit.
Luckily, I’ve already covered all the hard legwork!
In this article, I’ll share my top 10 picks for best harness for a Golden Retriever that will help you have fun while taking your dog for a walk.
Best Harness For A Golden Retriever Reviewed
Below, you will find reviews of the top 10 Golden Retriever harnesses available on the market. I’ve included pros, cons, and key features of each model to help you decide what is the best kind of dog harness for a Golden Retriever.
1. Noxgear LightHound Reflective Dog Harness – Best Overall
The Noxgear LightHound Reflective Dog Harness is made from lightweight but durable materials that are ideal for active Golden Retrievers.
- Reflective Cordura fabric
- Sturdy leash attachment
- Rechargeable LED lights
Designed to increase a dog’s visibility, this harness is an excellent choice for late evening walks. It is very easy to put on and take off, and its lightweight design allows for a free range of motion.
- Machine washable
- Comes in many sizes and different colors
- Made from sturdy and durable materials
- Easily adjustable for the perfect fit
- LED lights can stop working after some time
Overall, the Noxgear LightHound Reflective Dog Harness is a sound investment if you are looking for a comfortable Golden Retriever harness that will make your dog more visible.
2. Julius-K9 Powerharness Dog Harness – Runner Up
The Julius-K9 Powerhouse Dog Harness is designed to be comfortable and is ideal for everyday use and training.
- Reflective chest strap
- Freeze-proof buckles
Featuring a broad neck and chest straps, this harness is super easy to put on and allows a full range of motions. The sturdy and durable design is ideal for adventurous dogs who like to run and play rough.
- Breathable material
- Reflective straps make a dog clearly visible
- Durable D-ring
- Comes in several sizes
- Stitching can come loose
The Julius-K9 Powerhouse Dog Harness is a great choice if you are looking for a comfortable and sturdy harness for everyday use.
3. Chai’s Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness – Best Budget
The Chai’s Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness is a great option if your Golden likes to pull on a leash since it is designed to remove the pressure from the neck.
- Padded chest and belly straps
- Built-in handle
- Reflective piping
The lightweight mesh and chest padding make this harness comfy for everyday use. The chest-mounted O-ring discourages pulling and can be used for car trips to buckle your dog with a seatbelt.
- Made from durable nylon
- Adjustable straps for the right fit
- Relieves stress from the neck
- Increases visibility
- Sizing chart can be off, so you may need to go a size up
Overall, this comfy and durable harness is a great choice if you are on a tight budget and want a harness that will discourage your dog from pulling.
4. EzyDog Quick Fit Dog Harness – Best For Active Golden Retrievers
The EzyDog Quick Fit Dog Harness features a chest and neck strap and gives you full control over your Golden during walks.
- Adjustable straps
- Reflective stitching
- Stainless steel D-ring
Designed to keep your dog comfortable no matter what, this one-click harness is super easy to put on and take off. The snug fit allows for a free range of motion, making this harness ideal for active and athletic Goldens.
- Neoprene chest strap for extra comfort
- Cozy fit without chafing
- Comes with an ID tag holder
- Different sizes and colors
- A few dogs were able to pull out of the harness
Overall, the EzyDog Quick Fit Dog Harness is a sturdy and comfortable harness for everyday use that won’t pinch or chafe your Goldie.
5. 2 Hounds Design Freedom No Pull Dog Harness & Leash – Best For Golden Retrievers That Pull
The 2 Hound Design Freedom No Pull Dog Harness & Leash is designed to discourage pulling and can help you to “steer” your Golden during walks.
- Stainless steel hardware
- Comes with a leash
- Heavy-duty nylon straps
Designed to fit snugly over the chest and belly, this harness won’t chafe your Golden, and it will ensure that you have control every step of the way. Built to last, this model can help you to leash train your dog and teach him how to behave during walks.
- Prevents twisting and pulling
- Comes in several sizes
- Comfortable and snug fit
- For training and everyday use
- Can be tricky to put on
Overall, this heavy-duty harness is made to last and can help you to train your dog to stop pulling during walks.
6. Kurgo Journey Dog Harness – Best For Everyday Use
The Kurgo Journey Dog Harness is super cozy for daily walks but it can also be used for activities such as running and hiking.
- Padded chest plate
- Four adjustment points
- Built-in back handle
Made from durable and breathable material, this harness is designed keeping your dog’s comfort in mind. The back handle makes grabbing your dog easy and gives you control in tight situations.
- Machine washable
- Comes with a 10-inch lead
- Two leash attachments
- Highly adjustable fit
- A bit tricky to put on
Overall, the Kurgo Journey Dog Harness is the best Golden Retriever harness for everyday use and adventurous dogs.
7. Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness – Best Car Harness For Golden Retrievers
The Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness is a crash-tested dog harness that will keep your Goldie safe during car rides and prevent him from pulling a Houdini during regular walks.
- Five adjustment points
- Nesting Buckle System
- Steel buckles
Thanks to five adjustment points, you can customize this harness to fit your dog perfectly and evenly distribute the pulling pressure. While designed to increase your Golden’s security, this harness is also very comfy for everyday walks.
- Compatible with all seat belt systems
- Comfortable chest pad
- Lightweight and durable
- Ensures a custom fit
- Can be tricky to fasten the buckles
Overall, this crash-tested harness is the safest option if you like to take your Golden on car trips, but it also works for daily walks.
8. One Tigris Tactical Service Vest Dog Harness – Best For Outdoors
The One Tigris Tactical Service Vest Dog Harness is designed to keep your pooch comfortable, stylish, and ready for an adventure.
- Molle webbing
- Control loop
Made to be heavy-duty but lightweight, this harness is ideal for any outdoor activity including hiking, camping, running, or walking. You can even get your dog to carry his own supplies since this harness comes with various Molle pouches.
- Made to last
- Comfortable to wear
- Adjustable straps
- Strong V-ring leash attachment
- This harness isn’t chew proof
Overall, this vest is a good option if you like to take your Goldie on outdoor adventures.
9. Mighty Paw Padded Sports Dog Harness – Best Harness For Running
The Mighty Paw Padded Sports Dog Harness is designed to reduce the strain on a dog’s neck and is a great choice if you like to run with your Golden Retriever.
- Quick-release buckles
- Adjustable straps
Made keeping your dog’s comfort in mind, this harness supports natural shoulder movement while your dog is walking or running. Adjustable straps prevent chafing and quick-release buckles make it easy to put on or take off.
- Front and back leash rings
- Built-in handle
- Comfortable and durable
- Doesn’t have reflective piping
Overall, the Mighty Paw Padded Sports Dog Harness is an inexpensive and versatile harness for Goldens who like long walks and running.
10. One Tigris Tactical Training Molle Dog Vest Harness – Versatile & Convenient
The One Tigris Tactical Training Molle Dog Vest Harness is designed to keep your Golden safe and comfortable while he is out and about.
- Padded neck strap
- Dual chest strap
- Front and rear handles
Designed to ensure the ultimate outdoor experience, this harness provides a snug and comfortable fit thanks to chest and belly straps.
And thanks to molle pouches, your Golden will be able to wear gear and supplies on your next adventure.
- Durable and lightweight
- Distributes the load evenly
- Padded for extra comfort
- Easily adjustable
- Pouches are sold separately
Overall, if you like to hike with your Golden, the One Tigris Tactical Training Molle Dog Vest Harness is a must-have piece of equipment.
Factors To Consider When Choosing The Best Harness For Golden Retriever
Golden Retriever harnesses come in a variety of styles and uses, and before buying one, you will have to think about your unique needs.
Here are things to consider:
- Comfort & Adjustability: Your dog’s comfort should always be your number one concern! Since Golden Retrievers have sensitive skin, look for a harness that can be adjusted across the chest, belly, and back to prevent chafing and skin irritation.
- Reflective Straps: Reflective material will keep your Goldie visible even in low light conditions, thus increasing his safety during walks.
- Sturdy Buckles: Goldens aren’t very large, but they are highly-energetic and excitable. Hence, strong metal buckles are essential for keeping your dog safe and secure during walks.
- No-Pull Design: Is a necessity if your Golden Retriever likes to pull during walks. A no-pull harness comes with a front ring that offers better control and can help you in training your dog how to heal.
Golden Retrievers are highly energetic and playful dogs, who need a lot of exercise to stay out of trouble and in great shape. Taking your pooch on long walks is always a great idea, but you will need the best harness for a Golden Retriever if you want to have fun.
Although any of the 10 harnesses listed above may work great for your dog, the Noxgear LightHound Reflective Dog Harness is by far the best choice for Golden Retrievers.
However, the Chai’s Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness can be a great alternative if you are on a tight budget. And if you are looking for something in between, then you can’t go wrong by choosing the Julius-K9 Powerhouse Dog Harness for everyday walking.
Ultimately, whichever you choose, it will teach your dog to stop pulling and ensure that you have some fun walking instead of running after your Goldie.
Last Updated on