Updated: November 4th, 2022
This article contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
When you have a breed of dog that is susceptible to health conditions like arthritis and hip dysplasia, you want to provide them with the best dog food for hip and joint issues to prevent damage and help them keep moving as they become senior citizens.
Large breeds like German shepherds, Labradors, Rottweilers, Boxers, Boerbulls, and Great Danes are all susceptible to joint and hip issues. Golden retrievers are particularly at risk for developing osteoarthritis. This is why it is a good idea to be proactive about their diets.
Whether you are choosing the best dry dog food or wet dog food for joint and hip care, it is important to always look at the ingredient list to determine exactly how your dog food is going to help your pupper thrive.
Below, I have compiled a list of 5 of the best dog foods for your young or senior dog to protect from and help them with hip and joint issues. I have judged these products based on their active and inactive ingredient lists, their availability, their cost, and their effectiveness.
Read on to find the best product that perfectly suits your and your dog’s needs!
Based on their outstanding quality and ease of use, the Brutus Broth Bone Broth Food Topper is the best overall product as it can be added to any food for any sized dog breed.
Based on the quality of ingredients and general health support, the Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Large Breed, Healthy Mobility for Joint Health is the best budget option that is kind to your dog and to you.
||CHECK PRICE →|
||CHECK PRICE →|
||CHECK PRICE →|
||CHECK PRICE →|
||CHECK PRICE →|
Table Of Contents
Review Of The Best Dog Food For Hip And Joint Problems
The Brutus Broth Bone Broth Beef Flavor Hip & Joint Human-Grade Dog Food Topper is an excellent addition to any meal, dry or wet dog food, or raw food diet that you provide your best furry friend with.
The bone broth was created by a family that believed in giving their dog the best possible food that was safe enough for them to eat, too!
- Gluten, soy, dairy, and wheat-free for dogs with allergies
- Easy to add to your dog’s meal regardless of breed, age, or size
- Can be frozen into ice cubes and used as nutritious, tasty treats on hot days
- No artificial flavors or colorants
- Treats inflammation and pain caused by inflammation
- Includes healthy dietary fiber
This bone broth is packed with nutrients as well as joint and hip supplements. It provides your dog’s meal with added moisture and taste and acts as a superfood.
What’s more, this product is safe for dogs of any size and age. You simply add a ¼ cup of the broth per 25 pounds of your dog’s weight to their meal once a day to boost their overall health and help prevent joint problems from developing or becoming worse.
- Low sodium
- Human grade
- Easy to store
- Can be served warm or cold
- Increased hydration
- Some dogs do not like the taste
This product comes in beef and chicken flavor. Depending on the size of your dog, a single package has anywhere from 4 to 32 servings in it.
Notably, it contains turmeric in addition to glucosamine and chondroitin to help mitigate the inflammation and pain of joint deterioration as well as support the production of new and healthy connective tissues.
The product is best for dogs suffering from inflammation and pain related to joint and hip issues.
2. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Large Breed, Healthy Mobility For Joint Health – Best Budget
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Large Breed, Healthy Mobility for Joint Health is an excellent choice if you have a large breed dog such as a Golden retriever, Rottweiler, Labrador, Great Dane, or Goldendoodle.
- Designed for large breeds
- Boosts immune systems with added vitamins
- No artificial preservatives, colorants, or flavors
- All-natural ingredients to support healthy digestion
- Large kibble size to give a satisfying crunch
This product fights your dog’s hip and joint problems on three fronts:
- It is loaded with EPAs from fish oils that help keep joints lubricated and mobile.
- It contains glucosamine and chondroitin to maintain and build cartilage.
- It also has a wealth of minerals to support bone growth and fight the symptoms of osteoarthritis.
- Supports heart health
- Comes with a feeding guide for your dog’s weight
- Vet approved and endorsed
- Some senior dogs or dogs with dental issues may find the large kibble difficult to chew
This Hill’s Science Diet product has been carefully formulated with all-natural ingredients to support your dog’s joint and bone health for years to come. Overall, it is best for larger breeds, as it is specifically designed with them in mind.
Hill’s Prescription Diet j/d Joint Care Chicken Flavor Dry Dog Food is the prescription diet recommended by many vets for dogs with mobility issues due to hip and joint problems.
- Medium-sized kibble pieces suitable for medium-to-large breeds
- Enriched with Omega-3 fatty acids to boost and support mobility
- Supports the immune system
- Enriched with antioxidants to fight oxidative stress on joints
This product protects your dog’s joints’ glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, which in turn helps build new cartilage.
In addition to helping preserve and build healthy joints, this product includes added L-carnitine, which will help your dog build healthy lean muscle to support the joints and aid in pain-free movement.
- Vet recommended and prescribed
- Helps maintain weight
- Artificial preservative, colorant, and flavor free
- Quite pricey and not an ideal budget option
Hill’s has a wide range of prescription diets carefully formulated for dogs with various health issues, and they’ve specifically designed the j/d diet to help dogs with mobility issues and prevent further damage due to degenerative wear and tear over time.
Overall, this product is best for senior dogs with hip and joint issues or dogs recovering from injuries such as a torn ACL.
Blue Buffalo True Solutions Jolly Joints Natural Mobility Support Adult Wet Dog Food is an excellent addition to your dog’s dry food. Not only does it add moisture to your dog’s diet, but it also adds nutrition to benefit their hips and joints.
- Glucosamine and chondroitin to build new cartilage
- Enriched with EPA from fish oil to help lubricate joints
- Added minerals to promote bone health
- Added vitamins C and E support the immune system
This product’s natural ingredients are flavorful and have various nutritional benefits, such as supporting your dog’s bone and digestive health and even strengthening their immune system.
Plus, the added EPA, glucosamine, and chondroitin ensures your dog is protected against future joint damage while treating any joint damage present.
- Real chicken is used
- Wheat, corn, and soy-free
- No artificial flavors or preservatives
- Not all dogs like the taste or texture of wet food
This product can be added to your dog’s food regardless of their breed or size. Blue Buffalo has a wide range of dog foods designed for dogs with various needs and health issues, from skin and coat problems to weight maintenance issues. Overall, this is one of the most well-rounded products on this list and is suited for just about any dog’s diet.
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets JM Joint Mobility Dry Dog Food is specifically formulated to help dogs maintain and improve their mobility by decreasing the symptoms and risks of hip and joint problems.
- High in protein to help build strong muscles
- High in Omega-3 fatty acids to help joint lubricants
- Enriched with glucosamine to promote new cartilage production
- Contains antioxidants to fight oxidative stress on joints
This product helps lubricate the joints by building synovial fluid production, building cartilage in the joints, and promoting healthy muscle growth so your dog can move around more easily and pain-free.
- Vitamin E support immune system
- Vet approved and recommended
- Low carb helps with weight control
- Quite pricey and not the most ideal budget option
This product is best for dogs of all ages who are likely to develop joint and hip problems as they age due to their size or breed. Its ingredients have been carefully selected to strengthen your dog’s bones and support their joint and cartilage health.
Buying Guide For Best Dog Food For Hip And Joint Problems
Golden retrievers have a range of cute and odd behaviors. It is important to know how to decode your dog’s behaviors and discern them from the signs and symptoms of joint pain in dogs to know when to add special food to their diet.
Some of those signs and symptoms include:
- Irritability during petting
- Loss of appetite
- Refusal to move
- Urinating/defecating where they are laying down
- Licking or chewing a specific joint
Just like choosing the cheapest option is not always the best (as they are generally poorer quality), the most expensive option is not necessarily the best, either. Many companies increase their prices the moment they stick their brand’s logo onto the package.
When choosing the right food for your dog, first look at the product’s ingredients and check for any fillers. If it is mainly made up of grains or grass, then it is helpful for digestion but little else.
Look for active ingredients such as glucosamine, methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), and chondroitin, which are scientifically proven to aid hip and joint protection and mobility.
FAQs About Hip And Joint Issues
What are hip and joint problems in dogs and how are they caused?
Hip and joint problems are either developmental or degenerative.
Developmental problems are problems that are present from birth. They are genetic issues, meaning your dog will develop conditions like hip dysplasia or elbow dysplasia as they age and become heavier.
Degenerative problems are issues that happen because of continuous wear and tear and aging, like torn ACLs and arthritis to connective tissue and bone problems like osteoarthritis.
Can hip and joint problems be treated and prevented?
Providing your dog with a balanced and nutritious diet with lots of collagen, omegas, glucosamine, methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), and chondroitin will help delay the onset of degenerative issues.
You can also add supplements to their diet to help ease the inflammation caused by hip and joint issues as well as prevent further damage from happening.
Check out this guide on the 5 best joint supplements for your dog!
If you are looking for the best dog food for hip and joint problems, then look no further than Brutus Broth Bone Broth Beef Flavor Hip & Joint Human-Grade Dog Food Topper, which is my overall winner.
However, if your budget needs a bit of a break, then the Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Large Breed, Healthy Mobility for Joint Health is the way to go!
Maintaining your dog’s diet will go a long way in preventing the development of hip and joint problems in their senior years. Providing your senior dog with a specialized and supportive diet will help reduce their pain and improve their mobility and overall health.