Your Golden Retriever was brought into the world not knowing how to live by our human rules. They are a dog and have their own little wonderful…and some not so wonderful…doggie ways and rules. In order for your Golden to integrate nicely into your life, be able to be taken everywhere, be well-behaved and abide by the rules that you ...Read More »
Need help and advice on training your Golden Retriever?
This section of Totally Goldens contains all the articles written on Golden Retriever training and aims to become the ultimate resource on the web for such information.
From crate training, to toilet, potty or house training. From basic obedience training to discussion of different training methods and techniques, you will find it all here.
Recommended Comprehensive Training Course
Dogg Dans The Online Dog Trainer is a very popular, positive, force free, comprehensive, effective and great value course.
With it you can learn to train your Golden, solve behavior problems and join a community of dog owners traveling the same journey.
We are very happy to recommend this course, and you can find out why here:
Introductory Training Articles
Before training your Golden Retriever, it’s good to know a little theory, to know the ‘why’, ‘what for’, and ‘how’ before getting into some actual training.
For an interesting look at why regularly training your Golden Retriever is so important, and the benefits it offers to both you and your dog, please read:
Many people wonder when the time is right to start training their puppy. Is there such a thing as too young? Should you wait a few weeks or months? To answer I’ve written the following article:
If you’re looking to learn a little about dog training methods, how they work, why they work, and why we train the way we do, I’ve written the following article:
Obedience Training Your Golden Retriever
A well behaved dog is a joy to be around and is welcomed by all in far more places than a dog who is out of control. But a dog can never learn how to behave properly without guidance from their owner.
Obedience training is teaching your Golden Retriever just a few basic commands that if they reliably follow, allows you to provide this guidance, to steer them through life safely, keeping them form ever being a nuisance or a danger to themselves or others.
The following articles discuss the basics of obedience training before taking you step by step through training techniques to achieve a happy and obedient dog.
- An Introduction To Golden Retriever Obedience Training
- Proofing and Generalization – Making Your Training Stick
- How To Train A Golden Retriever To Sit
- How To Train a Golden Retriever to Lie Down on Command
- Leash Training Your Golden Retriever for No More Pulling!
- Train to Give or Drop Any Item on Cue
- Train Your Golden to Come on Command
- How to Stop Your Golden Retriever’s Destructive Chewing
- Train Your Golden Retriever to Stop Jumping Up on People
Golden Retriever Puppy Training
One of the very first things we have to do is train our puppy their name. If we can’t get their attention, we can’t ask them to do anything else.
We also need to introduce them slowly to a leash and collar, so they are happy to wear them as soon as possible.
Learn how to do this in the following articles:
Crate Training Your Golden Retriever
Training your Golden Retriever to love using a crate is one of the best and most beneficial things you can do for both you and your dog.
With this in mind, I’ve written the following articles to detail why it’s so important and take you step by step from the absolute beginning to a successfully crate trained dog.
- The Benefits Of Crate Training A Dog Or Puppy
- Is Crate Training Cruel?
- How To Use A Dog Crate: When Should You Crate Your Dog?
- Crate Training: Times When You SHOULD NOT Crate Your Dog
- What Size Dog Crate Do You Need? Which Type Is Best?
- What Should You Put In A Dog Crate And Where To Put It?
- Crate Training Your Puppy Or Dog: A Step-By-Step Guide
- Guest Post: Crate Training With A Full Time Job
House Training Your Golden Retriever
House training is the process of teaching your dog appropriate toilet habits, whether that be outside of your home (most likely) or a particular spot inside your home that you’ve chosen.
These next articles will teach you everything you need to know to have your dog pottying only where you want them to in no time at all. Starting with introductory information, leading onto a complete step-by-step ‘how-to.’
- Everything You Need To Know For Effective House Training
- The Best Way to House Train a Puppy: 4 Popular Methods
- The Role Food Plays In Your House Training Journey
- House Training – Step by Step Guide
See What You Can Achieve By Just 10 Weeks Of Age!
The following video is a great example of what can be achieved with your puppy by just 10 weeks of age!
I’m showing this as an example of how intelligent and keen they are to learn and follow our guidance.
This Golden Retriever puppy will have been trained these skills in just a few short training sessions per day over the course of a couple of weeks.
For further information on general dog care and training, please see the following very high quality, useful websites:
- The Dog’s Trust: Factsheets And Downloads
- Karen Pryor Clicker Training: Dog Training
- Dog Star Daily: Care And Training
Golden Retriever Training Archive
Listed in date order, most recently published on top, with image and short introductory text.
At the bottom of the page you’ll also find links to previous pages of posts
Please dig through the archive…I’m sure you’ll find the articles informative and useful.